[hpsdr] Mercury sampling rate

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Apr 12 22:23:28 PDT 2008

Most interesting discussion regarding Mercury sampling rates.  As Greg
pointed out, we actually don't require a sound card  for Mercury since there
is a D to A converter on the board. You can also use the D to A on Penelope
or a Janus board.

There was another reason for using an VHF clock that would divide exactly to
48/96/192kHz in addition to compatibility with sound cards.

When developing Penelope we wanted the CW performance to be the best we
could provide. Since the D to A and A to D clocks for the receiver audio
were from the same phase locked source then we would never run into the
buffer over/under run issued that others have mentioned.

However,  PowerSDR expects that  the CW timing will be based on a 48kHz
clock.  In which case any clock departure from exactly 48kHz resulted in an
accumalated error that would place a 'blip' in both the CW sidetone and
transmitted signal.

We did consider a 'fix' for this with Bob and Frank but concluded that life
would be much simpler if we used a VHF clock that had an integer divide to
48kHz.

Perhaps there  is a technically elegant way of solving this issue but we
chose the simplest one.

73's Phil...VK6APH