[hpsdr] Vista, initozy, and Janus/Ozy

Karl Heller k3kwh at mac.com
Fri Aug 22 22:22:41 PDT 2008

After looking through the archives for something pertaining to Vista and hopefully a solution to the load errors when running initozy, I realized that most folks have probably given up on using Vista.  Unfortunately that isn't an option for me at this time so I started fiddling around with compatibility mode for the various routines.  The end result of all the mucking around is that Ozy, Janus, and Penny work.

For those interested, change the compatibility settings for:

initozy to 98/Me
load_firmware to XP sp2
upload_FPGA to XP sp2

Further, edit initozy as follows (you may just want to REM the extra lines):

load_firmware 0xfffe 0x7 ozyfw-sdr1k.hex
sleep 3000
upload_FPGA 0xfffe 0x0007 Ozy_Janus.rbf
pause

You may need to run initozy several times to get it to work through loading the fpga, but eventually you will be successful.  It may take 2-3 tries before initozy works and reports successful fpga loading.  If it takes more than 3 tries, cycle power to the cards and try again.

One other thing to be aware of is that the write_i2c (9n the original batch file), regardless of compatibility settings will not run and consistently reports an error.

As to why I have to use 98/Me for initozy and XP sp2 for others seems very strange.  It seems that addresses are being accessed that are protected (hence the error at location 26 report if XP sp2 and 98/Me are not selected).  Selecting 'Run as Administrator' has no effect other than to cause another popup.

Hardware: MacBook Pro, Vista Ultimate (32bit), 1Gb RAM

Hope this helps someone...

73,

Karl