[hpsdr] Why would "anyone" run a slower sample [sic]

Mark Amos mark.amos at toast.net
Wed Dec 31 14:28:23 PST 2008

Mr Carcia,

I can think of a few reasons to run at a lower sample rate than 192Kbps:
- The processor load on my old ham computer is a lot less at 48K or even 96K
(consequently fewer audio dropouts)
- I like to run both the FlexRadio and HPSDR at the same time, another reason
for me to want to reduce processor load.
- I typically operate CW so 192K bandwidth on the panadapter is superfluous
- Also, I get a better pile-up spread on the panadapter at the highest zoom
- Filters at 48K appear to be considerably sharper

Is there some reason that you believe 192Kbps is the only rate that should be
used?

An opto-isolator is a fine idea.  I use a transistor and a couple of resistors
as a buffered switch for T/R relay isolation.

Good luck with the additional A/D heat-sink project.  I chose to use a muffin
fan for additional cooling of the Ozy/Penny/Mercury stack.

Mark
W8XR

Message: 7