[hpsdr] HPSDR Projects

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 09:59:26 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Don AE5K <don at ae5k.us> wrote:

> Dave Larsen wrote:
>>
>> I  may have veered from established protocol by making this information
>> available on the web site and Wiki but I would like to provide HPSDR
>> experimenters the most information possible.
>
> I'm just going to throw my comments into the barrel from a historical
> perspective (as the original and former web/wiki master [slave]) and my
> personal feelings.
>
> Most of the past projects (those now existing on the web or wiki pages) were
> in fact discussed on the discussion list. But not all.  In some cases I
> received a request from an individual to add a project to the website and
> wiki -- which I did, feeling that was one of the strong points to the whole
> HPSDR idea -- that of allowing a project leader to advocate a design/idea.
>
> From my memory, there has been only one project on the web pages that was
> eventually deleted, mainly due to the project leader abandoning the project
> and no one else wanted to continue it.
>
> So far, this "protocol" if you wish to call it that, has seemed to work.  It
> was essentially no formal approval.  The members of this list and those
> interested in the project have acted quite responsively in requesting
> project space on the web/wiki.  Personally, I don't see any need to
> formalize this protocol unless we see a spurt of irresponsible behavior.
>
> Certainly the discussion of a new proposed project could happen on the
> teamspeak forum -- but as an interested person who rarely gets the chance to
> listen to that discussion, I'd like to see it brought also to this
> discussion list as it covers many more persons with possibly more input to
> the idea.  That is, if the originator is open to ideas and constructive
> criticism.
>
> I concur with webmaster Dave in his statement above.  We have nearly
> unlimited web and wiki space.  A bad or poor project idea that is put on the
> wiki will no doubt invoke discussion on this list ... as it should.  So far,
> HPSDR has flourished with free and open ideas!
>
> Don AE5K

Hi Don,

I am not proposing any formal protocol other than announcing the
project on the HPSDR list.  People on the list then can make comments
instead of feeling that these decisions are made in private (or by a
small group of people on TeamSpeak) and not in the open where 800+
people are subscribed.   Otherwise, hard feelings develop like with
Mercury_EU.

Phil N8VB