[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:52:37 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm thinking of restarting the Sasquatch module.
>
> On the one hand, no one else has stepped up to do it after I pulled my name
> from it about a year ago.
>
> On the other hand, I like embedded DSP, and I hate to see the HPSDR project
> become PC-dependent.
>
> One candidate would be to simply make an ATLAS adapter for the Beagleboard.
>  This opens the door to low cost, low power and a Linux development
> environment. I really don't want this thread to devolve into "My OS is
> better than yours' or "my philosophy about open source is purer than yours."
>
> Another possibility is to use the OMAPL137 processor from TI.  Or skip the
> ARM stuff completely and just use the TMS320C674x DSP.
>
> I've had some email exchanges with Bob and Frank, and they indicate they
> would be supportive of such an effort in the context of porting dttsp to
> this processor.
>
> But there is little point in doing it if there is little to no interest  in
> it once all the hard work is done in the porting effort.
>
> I recognize one can buy small form factor motherboards these days for a
> couple hundred dollars (+/- a hundred) and for those who are most
> comfortable with using an embedded PC< this is an excellent way to go. No
> ATLAS adapter in this case is needed since Ozy already provides a
> USB-to-ATLAS interface for such motherboards.  At some level, Ozy also
> provides this for an OMAP-class processor, but I'd like to eliminate the
> need for Ozy for a self contained system.
>
> Lots of posts lately about how HPSDR things are not always as open as one
> might wish.
>
> Sasquatch is open.
>
> Comments?
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Hi Lyle,

I like the OMAP-L137.  Nice low power, 256BGA.

<http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap-l137.pdf>  The ARM is nice to
have around...

Not sure about the Beagleboard... I'll have to look further into it.
If you just use USB or Ethernet for input to the Beagleboard, you
might as well use something like the $79 Atom based mini-ITX boards.

73 Phil N8VB