[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Kevin - M0KHZ m0khz at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 01:30:06 PST 2008

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm thinking of restarting the Sasquatch module.
>
> On the one hand, no one else has stepped up to do it after I pulled my
> name from it about a year ago.
>
> On the other hand, I like embedded DSP, and I hate to see the HPSDR
> project become PC-dependent.
>
> One candidate would be to simply make an ATLAS adapter for the
> Beagleboard. This opens the door to low cost, low power and a Linux
> development environment. I really don't want this thread to devolve
> into "My OS is better than yours' or "my philosophy about open source
> is purer than yours."
>
> Another possibility is to use the OMAPL137 processor from TI. Or skip
> the ARM stuff completely and just use the TMS320C674x DSP.
>
> I've had some email exchanges with Bob and Frank, and they indicate
> they would be supportive of such an effort in the context of porting
> dttsp to this processor.
>
> But there is little point in doing it if there is little to no
> interest in it once all the hard work is done in the porting effort.
>
> I recognize one can buy small form factor motherboards these days for
> a couple hundred dollars (+/- a hundred) and for those who are most
> comfortable with using an embedded PC< this is an excellent way to go.
> No ATLAS adapter in this case is needed since Ozy already provides a
> USB-to-ATLAS interface for such motherboards. At some level, Ozy also
> provides this for an OMAP-class processor, but I'd like to eliminate
> the need for Ozy for a self contained system.
>
> Lots of posts lately about how HPSDR things are not always as open as
> one might wish.
>
> Sasquatch is open.
>
> Comments?
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Lyle, this is great news, I’m ‘open’ to any route, the beagle board is
very attractive, and I am in favour of removing the requirement for Ozy.
However I really do like the idea of an Atlas card.

I can foresee large interest in say an Atlas ( 3 slot) / Janus / Phoenix
/ Sasquatch combination. This would be fantastic for portable ops. Free
development tools are a must have, and if Linux is the only route here,
perhaps it’s time I broke away from Windoz :)

I’m looking forward to the opportunity for learning in a new area of
technology and truly hope Sasquatch II becomes a reality.

Kevin – M0KHZ