[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 04:33:01 PST 2008

The OMAP3530 is a good SoC.  It will run Linux and well on the ARM.  The
NEON is a very good floating point SIMD engine.  We could have a stand-alone
dsp enhanced computer with networking capability, monitor as well as small
LCD support, and burning under 2 watts!

It CAN run erlang and do the VR kernel bit and run a yaws server as well!

LLVM has ARM optimization support but it does not yet even think to
optimized for size in addition to or opposed to optimize by execution time.

I think we need an extended discussion about what it is we want from the
embedded device.  OMAPL137 or OMAP3530 is an ARM plus DSP capability.  L137
is TI DSP floating point.  3530 is NEON SIMD for floating point and TI
integer 16 bit for Video.  L137 is about 1/2 the power of the 3530.  There
are other differences but these are the big ones.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom