[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Wed Dec 10 06:05:01 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:48 AM, Philip Covington <p.covington at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Bob McGwier <rwmcgwier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It CAN run erlang and do the VR kernel bit and run a yaws server as well!

> Of course, eventually you'd want to do your own OMAP board, but the
> BeagleBoard looks like it would be useful for experimentation.  All of
> the build files are available including Gerbers.

 Two thoughts, obliquely related.

(1) An OMAP board would provide *very* deep system infrastructure support.
Much of what you'd want to provide in the way of system services to the DSP
code is off-the-shelf. Likewise the paths to the outside world, user apps,
etc. Likewise room for later expansion of functionality, etc.

(2) A development trajectory like generic platform -> Beagle Board -> custom
OMAP means that a working development environment would be available, free,
and would come with a significant support community, *right now*.

My private opinion, not one I'm urging on anybody else, is that *not* using
a strategy like (2) is mostly an expression of severe NIH syndrome.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he
gave it to. -- Dorothy Parker