[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Steven Wilson stevew at intrinsix.com
Thu Dec 11 12:12:15 PST 2008

Hmmm - let me give a  data point for this discussion.

I've actually routed an ARM7 in a Vertex II a few years ago.  It ran at
around 25Mhz. The cost of the parts was around $2K.  So I'm not sure
that is a cost effective route and it kinda falls short in "High
Perfomance" area due to the low clock rate you can expect from a general
purpose processor implementation in an FPGA.

Now I'll be the first to admit that the ARM7TDMI isn't really FPGA
friendly. It's got some long and hairy paths in it which subsequent ARMs
have pipelined. However, I think the clock rate is representative of
what a GP design with an MMU (something you really need/want to run
Linux) will give you.

73 de Steve KA6S