[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Ray Anderson ray.anderson at xilinx.com
Thu Dec 11 14:39:13 PST 2008

> Philip Covington wrote:
> >
> > How about doing the DSP and processor in the biggest QFP FPGA we can
> find?
> >
> > Phil N8VB
>
> Doing so you would reduce the number of potential developers to only
those
> who know how to code for an FPGA, which, I am
> sure, is a considerably smaller subset of those who can program DSP
> algorithms in C/C++...
>
> 73  Alberto  I2PHD

Not if you use an FPGA with either an embedded CPU or a soft-CPU and a
DSP processor. You could write the CPU and DSP code in the language of
your choice.

Of course this may not be a particularly cheap way to go as FPGA's with
these facilities can be pricey. Also note, you may be working yourself
into a chip with hundreds or thousands of BGA balls to contend with.
Then there are performance issues that must be evaluated.

Depending on the tradeoffs you may or may not want to do it this way,
but it is a possibility.

Disclaimer: I work for Xilinx

-Ray  WB6TPU