[hpsdr] [OT] mITX computing was: Sasquatch II

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Fri Dec 19 11:12:08 PST 2008

I am running an Intel D201GLY from LogicSupply. It is a simple Intel
Celeron 1.3Ghz processor with one lonely core :-) and 512MB RAM.

It compiles Qt/C++ applications beautifully. I have even built Qt from
source (5+ hours) and it works perfectly.

I am writing this email from the WinXP/SP3 boot of the mITX. I have it
dual booted with Ubuntulite.

For Floating Point intensive apps, I can point to SDRMAX-II and
QS1RServer which contains SharpDSP2.0 when receiving with the
QuickSIlver QS1Rb.  It seems to load the processor to about 30% and I
still get excellent USB 2.0 throughput and extensive Internet UDP
traffic on my LAN at about 2Mbps. All the Video in the GUI is quite
good, even with the crummy SiS mobo chip.

I am able to run OpenGL 1.2 compliant applications just fine. An example
is the current exploration that Cathy Moss in the UK is making with
SDRMAX-III GUI built from Qt/C++ and OpenGL code.

Now, you fellas with the multi-core models (I am jealous) can run
concurrent (parallel) 'make' with these commands in Linux:
export CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3
(one greater than number of cores)
make -j3
(also one more than number of cores)
and that will scream along and compile Qt from source in less than an
hour :-)

GL de Ken N9VV