[hpsdr] [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 03:11:03 PST 2008

The intel graphics chip set and northbridge are power hungry.  I think the idea is optimize code for the 330 and not the peripherals with this inexpensive and easy to use Mobo.  The disk drive is hungry as well.

The Intel ATOM Z500 family are mobile processors that have the same SIMD registers,  support LCD,  good GigE support, and the potential wart (POTENTIAL) is the 100 or 133 MHz FSB.

http://www.axiomtek.com.tw/Products/ViewProduct.asp?view=680#3

The Virginia Tech Mobile (SDR/CR) groups are looking at these (largest SDR/CR department in the world I think).

I think we want to optimize SIMD code and see what we can get running on these prepackaged, easy to get up and running systems as well as the SoC parts such as that family of TI OMAP parts carried on the Beagleboard.

One does NOT need to spend thousands of dollars on an SDR computer for most operations.   That is a convenient excuse for me to justify my computer budget for "development" and get high end things to play with (so I can kill aliens from another galaxy or FSU laboratory with impressive graphics in my "spare time").  But most people need to really justify the need for the high end computer in my mind and they cannot.  That is my point in all of this.

SDR wants to be on consumer/commodity level processors and SoC to be in everyone's "coffee budget" and taken for granted in the ideal world in my book.  There seems to be little gained by optimizing this for Quad core extreme processors with massive GPU's sitting on them,  tons of expensive high speed memory, and the world's fastest drives and costing well upwards of $1000 US.  Lightweight,  easy to distribute, with browser level GUI's and distributed everything on inexpensive processors and we rule the world.  You can call me Dr. No. and SDR Working group chairman stands for SPECTRE DUMB RESEARCH working group.

Cheers,
Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom