[hpsdr] Mercury Workings

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 15:01:03 PST 2008

Tim:

There are no "traditional" band pass filters in Mercury, in the sense
lf LC or crystal filters.  The filtering is implemented in software as
digital filters.  Both in the Mercury FPGA and the PowerSDR software in
your PC.  Since they are virtual filters implemented as mathematics,
the filter performance is likely better than anything you have ever used
before, and better than you could afford to buy in a conventional filter.

As long as the front end A->D converter is not in overload, the
software filters can take care of everything else.  Overload will occur
somewhere around 50 milliVolts input with the pre-amp turned on, and
about 0.5 Volts with the preamp turned off.

--- Graham