[hpsdr] Fwd: Very Low Noise VHF Crystal Oscillators

Chris Bartram chris at chris-bartram.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 17:27:26 PST 2008

I've spent some time (as part of the uWSDR project) looking at very low noise
vhf crystal oscillators.

As DDSes get faster, it becomes practicable to use them for LOs into the low
microwave region without frequency translation hardware. The uWSDR 50 -
1440MHz front end will use a simple DDS on most bands. Generating a good 1GHz
clock isn't easy, and as part of this work, I've come-up with an oscillator
topology which seems to have a great deal of potential. Go to
<www.christopherbartramrfdesign.com/blaenffos/indexgw4dgu.html> and follow
the links.

Between the cracks in my day-job, I'm currently designing a high performance
1GHz clock (and driver for the higher microwave/mmwave bands) based on this
oscillator. Don't ask me when it will be finished!

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU