[hpsdr] UHF oscillators

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 23 17:48:08 PST 2008

When I was at Andersen Labs there was a time when parts would go to the trash because welded hybrids could not be opened up to be retuned. Many times there was just a small shift in frequency range. These SAW VCXOs had a tuning range of about 1%. Most times we could easily measure better than -100 dBc at one Khz with the control pin grounded. I don't think I ever measured one at 10 KHz. We ususlly needed special equipment to read lower than -110 dBc and rarely an issue. I have a small collection of this stuff ranging up to 1 GHz. I wonder if this would be usable phased locked to a clean reference.  Does anyone know  what happens to phase noise of a SAW further out? I wonder if someone has figured out how to make crystals in the VHF and UHF range replacing the need for SAWs? Frank