[hpsdr] Adding Penelope to the mix...

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Mon Feb 11 23:11:40 PST 2008

Hi Peter,

This is  my 'unofficial' reply to your questions!
73’s Phil
.VK6APH

> Now that Penelope is almost here, I was wondering if there will be some
> guidelines published on how best to utilize her (not "it" !) when added
> to an existing mix of Atlas/Janus/Ozy + SDR-1000 + PowerSDR.

Yes,  I’m hoping  that Joe will be able to do another  great user
manual with a little input from yours truly.

> I'm hoping I can reconfigure so that I can use Penelope for TX and
> continue to use the SDR-1000 as the basis of RX (and can reconfigure as
> needed to revert to using the SDR-1000 for TX when I want to take
> advantage of the 100w PA).

That is exactly what I did.  Pull the I&Q lead at the input of your
SDR1000 and just use Penny to Tx with.

> I'm guessing that tapping into the SDR-1000's 100w PA (and ATU) is not
> currently part of the plan.

Quite possible but some surgery will be required.  It looks like taping
into the RFE board should be possible. If you have the necessary skills
and experience to do this then you are not going to necessarily need
instructions.

> Are there any plans for (or can anyone suggest) a suitable PA to get
> beyond the 1/2 watt level.  Sounds like a nice construction project.

Just waiting for a volunteer!  There are a number of suitable routes to
100w, the one already suggested looks fine.  With Alex now in final
Alpha we have all the LPF, SWR and Tx/Rx switching completed which will
simplify the design of the PA.

> Am I correct in assuming that the EER amplifier that has been discussed
> will interface directly to Penelope or will there be an intermediate
> stage required?

Again, waiting for a volunteer. I  have built a  160m 50w Class E PA in
order to check that the required signals from Penelope are correct.
I’m very impressed as to how stable and docile a Class E PA is as well
as how tolerant it is of component  tolerances and  high SWRs.    We
may be able to get to the 100w level directly from Penny but if not
incorporating a  driver stage would not be a problem.

> Maybe these questions are premature - if so that's fine - not in any
> rush here, just wondered what was in the works, etc.

Not at all – I actually built my  100mW to 100w bomb proof PA some
years ago for just this eventuality.