[hpsdr] VHF Clocks

Chris Bartram chris at chris-bartram.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 02:54:48 PST 2008

Hello Phil

> I should have said that problem is generating a 160 or 180 MHz low
> noise clock without using custom low phase noise crystals that you
> have to buy in quantities of 100 or more with lead times of 3
> months...LOL...

Based on quite a lot of experience in the field, I can say that decent
crystals in that context don't cost a huge amount of money - maybe USD40 for
a single part and about USD5 at 100off. Because crystals are quite precise
electro-mechanical components which need to be tested for ageing, they do
take a little time to make, and typical lead times are of the order of three
if or four weeks.

The problem comes if you try to buy these parts from commodity distributors
and manufacturers. There are still manufacturers who will manufacture
short-run custom crystals. Some of them are actually quite good!

A clock based on a 90MHz low-noise crystal oscillator, followed by a passive
diode frequency doubler and output driver wouldn't be a complex project.

There is also another approach. Quite a few manufacturers make crystals and
packaged oscillators for use as 155MHz clocks for SONET applications. Most of
the packaged oscillators have voltage control inputs to allow locking to an
external standard.

Vy 73

Chris
GW4DGU