[hpsdr] VHF Clocks

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 03:46:40 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:54 AM, Chris Bartram
<chris at chris-bartram.co.uk> wrote:

>  Based on quite a lot of experience in the field, I can say that decent
>  crystals in that context don't cost a huge amount of money - maybe USD40 for
>  a single part and about USD5 at 100off. Because crystals are quite precise
>  electro-mechanical components which need to be tested for ageing, they do
>  take a little time to make, and typical lead times are of the order of three
>  if or four weeks.
>
>  The problem comes if you try to buy these parts from commodity distributors
>  and manufacturers. There are still manufacturers who will manufacture
>  short-run custom crystals. Some of them are actually quite good!

Here's a quote that I got from a crystal manufacturer a few months ago
on a 128.256 MHz low phase noise crystal:

±10ppm @ 26ºC, ±10ppm from -20 to +70ºC
Load=Series, ESR=60ohms max
C1:min=1.4pf, max=1.8pf
C0:min=.00022, max=000.27
Q=90K min, drive level=500uW

Option Quantity Unit Price Delivery
1 100 $27.29 12 Weeks ARO
2 250 $25.98 12 Weeks ARO
3 500 $25.13 To Be Determined

It was based on a similar 100 MHz low phase noise crystal they supply
to a oscillator manufacturer.

Phil N8VB