[hpsdr] Ground planes with multiple parts in both analog and digital domains

Howard Long hlong at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 25 07:02:11 PST 2008

Folks

Traditionally with a signle device such as a CODEC straddling the analog and
digital domains, there seems to be a fairly uniform agreement to use a
common ground plane with an insulating split between analog and digital
sections of the board and a single connection under the CODEC.

How do you deal with a situation where there are multiple devices in both
the digital and analog domains?

I have read this article
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mixed+signal+pcb+layout that seems to
suggest the use of a single unsplit ground while maintaining physical
partitioning between the mixed signal/analog devices and their digital
counterparts.

I wonder if anyone has any views on this? In my particular case I have a
CODEC, a DDS and a PLL/VCO to deal with using I2S/I2C/SPI interfaces to a
DSP.

73, Howard G6LVB