[hpsdr] Companding in SDR RX Front End

T.W.H.Fockens Koos.Fockens at iaf.nl
Sun Jan 6 02:48:55 PST 2008

Dear Guido,

Companding is just a (dynamically controlled) attenuator in front of the
ADC. This means that it works on the whole received bandwidth and not just
on the selected channel. It just shifts the input range up and down. The
realtime dynamic range is not altered!

Further, be aware of possible intermodulation effects in the (analog)
attenuator circuit. This circuit needs a real high third order intercept
point!

73,
Koos
PA0KDF