[hpsdr] Demeter PSU design

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:48:34 PDT 2008

Jeroen

Enjoyed talking with you and the others on Saturday at 19:30. I'll be around
again at 19:30 and hopefully we will get a few more folks to the east of the
USA!

Thanks for running with the Tiny Demeter! It has gotten my reading juices
flowing again. Open design discussion has been the lifeblood of H in HPSDR!
I think there are now over 700 on this list. There is a LOT of expertise out
there even amongst the lurkers!

I did a search of earlier e-mails and Bill had posted the current
requirements of Janus/Ozy early last year. I guess they are still valid:

Janus/Ozy current draw:

***************************
Bill Tracey - KD5TFD schreef:

Current draw I'm seeing with Ozy/Janus playing radio with an SDR 1000 is:

      +12v: 200 ma
      +5v: 180 ma
      -12v: 70 ma

***************************

I'm not sure about Penelope running a full .5 Watt, but perhaps Kevin or
others might measure Penelope. Also measure Ozy alone without Janus to get a
baseline, where we can determine other boards current requirements by
difference, since OZY is always required to even test. Can someone help with
Penelope minus Ozy?

I have always looked at every project from 10,000 ft. as they 'fit' with
other projects. Bottom line is that all the HPSDR boards and external
projects should 'play nicely' together and avoid duplication in keeping with
not duplicating functions on other logical 'building blocks'. For instance
having to duplicate clocks or oscillators serving the same function on other
boards.

HPSDR design should accommodate other planned projects, but not
'overcompensate'.

My suggestion for Tiny Demeter, whether the board be mounted on the end
mounting screws of Atlas or the ATX connector itself (If we can find one),
that the board extend the same distance rearward from atlas, in the same
plane as other buss mounted boards.

The object is that we mount protruding LED power indicators, and a switch on
the 'rear' edge of Tiny Demeter such that it would extend through the
rear/front panel of Pandora or other enclosure.

Further: That this rearward extension have 2 x 10 pin .1 inch headers mated
with each other with a 'cut' line between them so a daughter board with
indicators could be produced. This could be cut off the regulator board, and
mounted on front panel of an enclosure, via a commonly available 10 pin
ribbon cable.

Just my early 2 Cents!

Thanks
Eric