[hpsdr] Penelope Performance Measurements_3

hartfuss hartfuss at ipp.mpg.de
Fri Jun 6 02:52:58 PDT 2008

Hi all,
last night I continued my performance tests with Penelope, trying to
determine the carrier and sideband suppressions. As before in the IMD
measurements I used the Rohde&Schwarz "ESPI" type analyzer and
additional 20 dB of attenuation in between the DUT and the spectrum
analyzer.
Penelope was driven by the PowerSDR internal two-tone signal to 500 mW
PEP output at 3.7 MHz LSB. I was unable to see besides the IMD products
any other lines in the USB even with averaging for a few minutes. I am
concluding that sideband suppression is better than about -95 dB which
corresponds to the analyzer's noise level under the conditions described.
The residual carrier, however, can still be resolved with this test
equipment. It is down -90 dB referred to 500 mW PEP.
The residual carrier amplitude is within 1-2 dB independent of drive
level, which means at 20 dB smaller output level it has almost the same
amplitude and suppression is then "only" -70 dB.

I repeated also IMD3 measurements at 3.7 MHz and measured IMD3 as
function of output power.
At 20 dBm (100 mW) in each of the tones (400 mW PEP), IMD3 power is
about -72 dB down, monotonically decreasing further, approaching the
noise level of the spectrum analyzer by reducing the output power in
each tone to 13 dBm (20 mW), corresponding to 80 mW PEP.
At this level IMD3 is -83 dB down compared to one of the two tones
(-89 dB /PEP).

Qualitative modulation tests comparing the "sound quality" under
otherwise the same conditions of audio processing (AT4040 microphone,
dbx preamp and dbx EQ) of the SSB signal with 50 to 3650 Hz ESSB
transmit profile when going with the Mic input
1. directly to Penelope
2. via Janus
3. using the Flex-5000
gave no audible difference. Audio quality was excellent in all cases.

Great development!
Thanks, Hans, DL2MDQ.