[hpsdr] Odyssey dsPIC33 RAM usage

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Wed Jun 4 15:12:22 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:46 PM, George Medakovich <George at medakovich.com>
wrote:

> The occasional references to Computer Music Journal had me wondering
> why there wasn't more discussion referring to music synthesis as it has
> such a
> long history that would seem to inform a lot of sdr.

It does and it has. There are small tokens of it scattered throughout DttSP,
for example -- Bill's window generation routines, various other things. The
DttSP work owes much to him, to Andy Moorer, and to Gareth Loy and Julius
Smith and the rest at CCRMA, to Guy Garnett and the team at Berkeley, to C
Fry and the MIT Lab, and above all to the generation of 70's flakes from
Princeton and Columbia of which I'm proud to be a member.

The design of DttSP takes a *great* deal from the concurrency ideas embodied
in the SAMBOX control programs that ran originally on the Stanford DEC-10,
written in SAIL. We've never made any secret of it -- the topic just hasn't
come up much around here in particular.

Most lately we're working hard to plunder the remarkable things coming out
of the Princeton group in the area of dynamic, distributed,
sample-synchronous realtime processing on networks of laptops.

> BTW, I wrote a Music V program for a class in the early '70s - punch card
> to digital tape to paper tape to
> audio tape in 5-second segments that had to be edited with a tape splicer.
> Now THAT's latency!

Oy. I've seen remarkable persistence in the face of adversity at doing
digital synthesis, but that really beats anything I've heard. Wow.

> Is there any particular reason that sdr hasn't taken the scripting/tookit
> route a la CLM,  cmusic or csound?

There are several answers to this, some fundamental and some contingent, but
one of the biggest is pretty simple. Say "SDR" and the first association is
usually "FPGA." About that, more some other time.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline