[hpsdr] power supply for hpsdr

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 08:34:35 PDT 2008

Dominic / All

Power supplies for Atlas have been discussed many times and board current
measurements (except for Mercury at the moment) have been posted. No problem
for bringing it up again. The design of Atlas to use a standard ATX
connector and place boards on PC slot spacing for 'cabinet' purposes were
discussed extensively prior to Phil Covington finalizing Atlas.. Check the
HPSDR archives all the way back to Xylo Group for earlier work on Power and
Atlas design.

There are numerous articles posted on the Web for using and taming ATX power
supplies for bench supply use. Note on most supplies (Not PicoPSU) you will
need a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor in the 5 volt line to provide load to keep
power on the outputs.

Just one example:

http://www.mbeckler.org/powersupply.html

Also Scotty - WA2DFI TAPR has extensively used the PicoPSU to power and test
the various boards. The Pico PSU was somewhat crudely tested in the early
going and found to be pretty quiet on the buss. If I remember correctly
there was some short range 'radiated' rf noise. So far it handles a
reasonable number of boards. Mercury will probably bring a new definition to
the word Sensitivity, and Phil Harman and other alpha testers will be
testing the Mercury Alpha with PicoPSU to see if there are any issues. Since
the 5 Mercury Alpha's are on the way to the testers, we should know in a
week.

http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.417/.f

Many HPSDR nuts are using bench supplies.

There is no Standard Supply or recommended supply at this point.

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW