[hpsdr] My goodness Gracious - TAPR Letter!

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:01:32 PDT 2008

Folks

I was the one who urged TAPR BOD to post some 'interface' message to HPSDR
list. I am glad that Steve did, and thank him for it!  Everyone here knows
that TAPR produces boards from HPSDR. If you were around 2 years ago you
might know all of this. But how is it done?

It's been 2 years since Steve - N7HPR representing TAPR and primarily myself
and project leaders from HPSDR representing at that time, formed an
agreement for to produce HPDSR boards! I don't believe that the details of
what TAPR offers or offered ever was published on this list. We have many
new HPSDR contributors in the past 2 years. Also even though I am now TAPR
BOD, I KNOW that TAPR has done a spectacular job. (You WOULDN'T believe all
that is involved voluntarily! (smile))

During that early time, I had personally up-fronted the cost of 400 Atlas
boards and 200 Pinnochio kits and sold them at cost. I transferred the
Pinocchio kits to TAPR after the agreement. It is a HUGE undertaking to do
this. I was at financial risk, and there are still people who have not paid
me for Atlas boards, and quite a few money orders would not be accepted by
my bank.  I didn't lose any $, and my objective was not to make $, just to
support this wonderful HPSDR experiment, and keep it going. TAPR really came
to the fore and DID interface with developers. More recent contributors to
this list, and folks perhaps wanting to lead projects need to know what is
available and that IS why I asked the BOD to post our mission and interface.

Although I don't post to this list as frequently as I once did, due to
trying to balance personal, work, and family life,  I read EVERY message, on
this and about 7 other SDR related lists. I keep contact with many friends I
have made via associations with SDR!  From Flex to SoftRock.

I get quite a number of 'off-list' e-mails every week. Everything from
"Where can I get an Atlas Lite - 3"  to one current HPSDR project leader
asking me to explain to another current HPSDR project leader how to request
support from TAPR!  Even information on the Dayton Hamvention! (Exciting
stuff coming up for 2008 - Stay Tuned!).

A LOT has changed in HPSDR in 2 years, pretty positive!  THIS THE HPSDR list
(NOT TAPR) needs to address some of them! I get questions personally that I
just can't answer with either my TAPR or HPSDR hat on!

There are many projects on the BBS and Wiki which have seen NO activity in a
year or more. There are 'polite people' who ARE interested in 'picking up'
those projects and also people interested in the project. Example
(Gibralter)

There are projects where the project leader is no longer the leader of the
project. Example (Mercury)

There are projects where the activity is NOT being done by the stated
project leader but already in alpha testing. Example (Phoenix)

There are projects which probably are not worth being projects. (Can't
recall any (smile) bring on the Software Defined Amplifier!).

There are projects which appear to be 'competing projects', which doesn't
make too much sense?  Example (Mercury vs Mercury-EU).

Wearing my TAPR hat.

TAPR is currently:

In production mode for Penelope.

Financially supporting Mercury Alpha boards and testing.

Financially supporting Alex Boards and testing.

In the end, the HPSDR evolution is TERRIBLY exciting, the contributors have
been and are phenomenal, this IS the future of radio!

If someone wants to 'read' something of any ulterior motive for this post.
Go for it! Break a leg! I sure can't figure it out!

Thanks

Eric - AA4SW - V31SR