[hpsdr] Alex

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 08:14:28 PDT 2008

FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:
> Hi All,
> I see Alex has a couple different connectors. I wonder if anyone has
> the interface posted anywhere so I can start looking at building a
> harness.

Frank:

Sorry for delay in answer, I was traveling this weekend, and did not
have files with me.

There is an Alpha-3 version of the ALEX being laid out that has
different connectors
than the Alpha-1 version pictures on the web-site.

Details below on the Alex connectors.

We have not gone to final frozen design yet, so understand that
there is very slight risk of changes, yet, although I am not expecting
any on the connectors.

The manufacturing guys asked for a change to a mass termination (ribbon
cable)
type connector for the ALEX control cable.  This lowers the cable
manufacturing
costs significantly for them.  Also, since you can put a connector in
the middle of a
ribbon cable, it also eliminates the board to board jumper control cable
for Alex.
So the main ribbon control cable for ALEX will have a short loop at the ALEX
end with two connectors that connect one each to each board.

There was also a request for an "Auxiliary Forward and Reverse Power"
connector
on the transmit filter board, so that hardware configurations that could
not get at the
forward and reverse power wires in the ribbon cable could directly plug into
the transmit board to pick up these signals on a separate connector.

The external RF in and out connectors are BNC connectors, as described
on the web site, unchanged.

There is also an internal board to board coax jumper in ALEX.  I am using
a six inch long SMB to SMB cable.  It takes a right angle SMB PCB mount
connector on the backside of each of the Transmit and Receive filter
boards.  You
could also substitute an SMA PCB mount connector or just solder an RG-174
jumper at one or both ends to save money.

Feel free to ask questions if any of this is not clear.

--- Graham / KE9H

===================
ALEX Control connectors:
One each on Transmitter and Receiver filter boards.

Mfr: 3M
Mfr PN: 3793-5002 or N3793-5002RB

Mouser: 517-N3793-5002RB
DigiKey pn: MHR10K-ND

Plus Ejector/Latches:
3M # 3505-2 or 3505-3
Mouser part number 517-3505-2 or 517-3505-3

Pinout:
pin 1 - Ground
pin 2 - +12V
pin 3 - SPI data
pin 4 - SPI clock
pin 5 - SPI RX load
pin 6 - SPI TX load
pin 7 - Fwd pwr (0 to 3v DC analog signal)
pin 8 - Ground
pin 9 - Rev pwr (0 to 3v DC analog signal)
pin 10 - Ground

Mates with (Ribbon cable mass termination):

female 10-pin dual-row IDC, free-hanging cable mount, closed end, polarized
Vendor: DigiKey
DigiKey pn: 3473-7610-ND
Mfr: 3M
Mfr PN: 3473-7610

Strain relief:
Vendor: DigiKey
DigiKey pn: MSSR10-ND
Mfr: 3M
Mfr PN: 3448-3010

Note:  If you locate a wire crimp-pin female connector that mates with the
same PCB mount right angle connector above, please let me know.
I suspect that it exists, since this is all 0.1 inch spacing, 0.025 square
pin connectors, and many manufacturers are in the business.

======================================

Auxilliary Wattmeter output (transmitter filter board only)

Molex 22-12-2044
Mouser 538-22-12-2044

pin 1 - gnd
pin 2 - fwd pwr
pin 3 - rev pwr
pin 4 - +12V

Mates with:
Molex 22-01-3047
Mouser 538-22-01-3047
Uses crimp pins: (many types available. I use:)
Molex  08-65-0816
Mouser 538-08-65-0816