[hpsdr] Question about modules

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 25 14:02:24 PDT 2008

All:

Penelope running barefoot is legal without harmonic filters.
However, it only puts out about 1/2 watt.

Any additional RF Power Amplifier that you put between
Penelope and the antenna will most likely need harmonic
filtering.  This could be built into the amplifier, or ALEX
could be used for harmonic filtering.

As far as ALEX being needed for Mercury, read the
discussion on the Wiki.  If you don't use ALEX, then
you likely will still need some filtering to block any nearby
AM broadcast transmitters, and any nearby VHF-FM and
VHF-TV broadcast.  It really depends on the
situation.  In a benign environment, you might not need
any input filtering at all, or perhaps your receive antenna
has sufficient selectivity by itself.

--- Graham / KE9H