[hpsdr] Alternatives to a DSP board

Charles Brain chbrain at btinternet.com
Fri May 30 04:22:10 PDT 2008

Hello All,

Before I continue I have to make an admission.
I don't know much about doing this but ....

Rather than using a commercial DSP on a standalone card
how feasible do you think it would be to use an FPGA
instead and run something like an OpenSparc core on it
http://www.opensparc.net/
I came across a demo of this running on a XILINX FPGA
board on YouTube and thought it would be a neat thing to do.
Mind you I also thought all the videos of running old Atari games
on Altera FPGAs were neat too but that has nothing to do with radio!

I guess on the downside it would be slower than a real processor
and would consume more current. But it would be easier to upgrade
and fairly future proof.

- Charles G4GUO