[hpsdr] Fw: TX/RX Relay?

Alfred Green nu8i at cox.net
Wed May 14 10:18:39 PDT 2008

n3evl wrote:

> Since I'll be running Penelope with my SDR-1000, I assume I'll need a
> coaxial TX/RX relay in order to share a single antenna.  It appears from
> the
> doc that 100mA is the max current specified so I assume I need a relay that
> requires no more than this (probably  less) to energise the coil.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for make/model/vendor.  I assume I need a
> 12v item that I can power from the same PSU that powers the radio?
>
> The models I came across via a google search were either expensive or high
> voltage or had current ratings that exceeded 100mA or all of the above!
>
> Please _relay_ your ideas...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pete, N3EVL

For low power at HF almost anything will work just fine. For a long time
I used the little blue RadioShack SPDT relays for transverter IF
switching. I've since found a cheap source of the Omron G6Y which is
good for 10w at 1296 with >50dB isolation. Overkill at HF, but at 3 for
a dollar I can afford it....
For higher power I use small pcb power relays with a contact rating of
10A/240V. I don't recall the exact make/model, but pretty much any
generic thing should work. For switching filter banks and antennas they
work great at 500w up to 10m. Cold-switched, of course.

Remember, anything below 30MHz is technically just wobbly DC anyway.

For a good selection of cheap relays, I'd recommend a visit to
Electronic Goldmine,    http://www.goldmine-elec.com/    . No connection
here, just a happy customer.

BTW, just got my Penelope end of last week. I haven't fired it up yet,
that should happen this weekend. Fantastic piece of work, major kudos to
all involved.

GL & 73, Alf  NU8I
Scottsdale  AZ  DM43an
160m > 10Gigs