[hpsdr] Penelope measurements

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed May 21 22:31:29 PDT 2008

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the delay in replying - I've just arrived home from Dayton.

Following Dayton I spent a fascinating afternoon with John, N8UR, doing
measurements on Penelope - more on this later.

We did the same measurements as you with similar results. The on board
TCXO is really intended to remove drift from the 122.88MHz clock rather
than a highly accurate frequency reference. It's a relatively low cost
device and the sort of frequency error you found is consistent with
what John measured on his Penelope. We also found the TCXO drifted some
which made phase noise measurements difficult.

Could you please measure the 10MHz TCXO frequency on the Atlas bus at
C16. If you select Penny as the 10MHz source in PowerSDR then Penny
will send this signal to the bus. You can then measure the frequency
error. If you get a similar frequency error then this means it's the
TCXO; else there may be a problem with the PLL.

We also tried injecting a very high performance 10MHz source into C16
and phase locking the 122.88MHz clock to it. We found the same issue -
the PLL does not lock correctly and we had a frequency error. The
reason for this was that the FPGA needs a nice sharp edge 3.3v square
wave on C16 and by the time we have a suitable level when feed through
10'  of coax the waveform was sufficiently distorted to cause a problem.

I did test feeding the 10MHz TCXO on the (Alpha 1) Mercury board into
C16 to lock the 122.88MHz clock on Penny and it worked fine.

John is working on a small board that will plug into the Atlas bus that
will provide the correct drive levels etc. The board can also be fitted
with a high performance 10MHz OCXO/VCXO and also take external clocks.
These will be able to be divided/multiplied to 10MHz so external
standards (2/5/20MHZ) can be used. There will also be a GPS locking
facility.

I'll publish all the results of the tests that John did on Penelope
ASAP, just to say at this stage that the results are very gratifying.

73's Phil...VK6APH