[hpsdr] HPSDR / PowerSDR hardware selection

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Thu May 22 20:49:25 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:

>  Certainly one of the biggest issues I have stumbled on with SDR is full
>> break in CW which is defeated by latency in the OS.
>>

> One of the drivers for Sasquatch, or embedded DSP in general.  In the K3 we
> have minimized latency and taken advantage of the buffers to allow QSK at 40
> WPM plus, so I know it *can* be done!

Under Linux, using the latest JACK audio system, it's quite practical to use
64-sample buffers at 192kHz in full duplex. That's a little over
300usec/buffer. A digital audio workstation application like Ardour does it
all the time, in multiple channels on off-the-shelf hardware. Not an
interrupt handler in sight.

Current SDR implementations are pretty far behind what the OS's can support
and what applications are using at this point, especially on multicore
machines. It won't take long to catch up, however.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline