[hpsdr] HPSDR / PowerSDR hardware selection

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Fri May 23 12:08:07 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Michael White <michael.white at zytac.com>
wrote:

The professional audio industry solved the problem with off board DSP
> processors that connect via firewire. Pro Tools did it with plug-in PCI
> co-processor cards etc etc.

Not anymore. In fact, not for a number of years now. Part of the reason -- I
can tell you, having been part of both the problem and the solution -- is
that offboard processors never were more than a stopgap.

> With HPSDR we are routing complex audio at high speed off the hardware via
> USB , processing it on the PC OS and then sending it back to the hardware
> via USB. I just cant see how that architecture will persist. At least this
> allows us code our own software and experiment which is just the ticket, so
> long live HPSDR. But to build a CW contest capable SDR that way is another
> matter.

I think you're vastly overimpressed with what even the best current QSK
radios are actually doing, and that you're vastly underimpressed with what
current off-the-shelf hardware and software are actually doing in practice
all the time these days.

In any case, the idea that a rogue service routine can sneak in behind you
and corrupt your timing is, on a properly configured system, just silly.

73
Frank
AB2KT

--
The only thing we have to fear is whatever comes along next. -- Austin Cline