[hpsdr] Linear Power Unit (LPU)

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Sat Nov 1 01:10:51 PDT 2008

Hi Lyle,

I thought about that, but this is actually a bit cheaper. Even with
the resistor, I still need the heat sink (albeit perhaps a smaller one).

The TO-220 cased regulators and the large (but inexpensive) heat sink
will handle the worst case dissipation of about 13.5W on the 5V
regulator (9V at 1.5A). A 10W resistor costs about the same as the
regulator IC (even though it is still pretty cheap)!

They would reduce coupling in noise from the station supply, though,
so it might be worth it, and it would definitely help spread the heat
around and put it into a part that can more easily withstand higher
temperatures.

Maybe an option for the prototype? (Oh no, not more options!)

73,
Scotty WA2DFI