[hpsdr] Happy Birthday HPSDR and New Penelope expression of Interest

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 04:28:20 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Eric Ellison <ecellison at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the third anniversary of the VERY early stirrings of HPSDR! It began as a casual conversation on Teamspeak between Phil Harman – VK6APH  Bill Tracy, and the other's gathered there on that
> Saturday with the mention of Xylo an inexpensive FPGA development board! It evolved to an e-mail list I started, including Phil Covington – N8VB and then the Xylo group and finally to Phil Covington's concept > which became Ozy - Mercury and also his pursuit to the QS1R.  Phil's site was adapted to this reflector  HPSDR.

Here is the correct history of HPSDR:

I started the HPSDR project in the Spring of 2005.  I also coined the
name "High Performance Software Defined Radio" - it was a project to
design and build a modular SDR system with open source tools.  In late
2005, Ken Hopper, N9VV created and moderated the Open_HPSDR Yahoo
group to support the HPSDR project.  Before the Yahoo group, most of
the discussion of the HPSDR project took place on my blog at
<http://pcovington.blogspot.com/> during 2005.  The blog journals how
the project evolved.

In March of 2006, Phil Harman, VK6APH proposed that we merge the HPSDR
project and the Xylo group and continue to use the name HPSDR.
Shortly after the Xylo list and the Open_HPSDR Yahoo groups were
replaced with the HPSDR mailing list hosted by Don AE5K.   I
registered and purchased the domain name hpsdr.org and Don created and
hosted the HPSDR website.

The HPSDR project's third birthday has already come and gone.

--
Phil Covington
Software Radio Laboratory LLC