[hpsdr] HPSDR - Update to Command and Control Protocol

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Nov 15 20:33:56 PST 2008

All,

Short version:
Unless you are using the Command & Contol data on the Atlas bus for a
specific project then NO changes to your HPSDR set up are required.

Long version:
With the Alpha build of Phoenix now underway, and enhancements to Mercury in
the wings, we need to make a modification to the protocol used to send
Command & Control data over the Atlas bus (pin C20).

The protocol at present is as follows:

<[58]PTT><[57:54]address><[53:22]frequency><[21:18]clock_select><[17:11]OC><[10]Mode>
<[9]PGA><[8]DITHER><[7]RAND><[6:5]ATTEN><[4:3]TX_relay><[2]Rout><[1:0]RX_relay>

At the moment the <address> is set to 0x0000 in the latest version of
Ozy_Janus in SVN. For Pheonix and future additional Mercury features we will
need to use additional addresses and corresponding protocols. For example
for Phoenix I propose to use:

<PTT><address><phase_data>.....

Where <address> is 0x0001 and  <phase_data> is the data need by the AD9912
DDS chip.

The only project that I am aware of that will be affected by this change is
Helios  < http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HELIOS  >

I've already contacted Ken who is making the necessary change to his PIC
code.  There may be others using the Command & Control data that I'm not
aware of, hence this update. In fact if you do have a project that makes use
of the Command & Contorl data why not share it with the group!

In the future there will be a need to update the FPGA code in Penelope and
we have a member working on a simple PC program to automate this update.

So, to reitterate the my opening remarks, this change does NOT require you
to make any changes to your current HPSDR set up.

73's Phil...VK6APH