[hpsdr] List Admin duties

Don Jackson AE5K ae5k at hpsdr.org
Wed Oct 8 08:46:07 PDT 2008

Several have asked about what the discussion list administrator duties
are.  I call the job "administrator" rather than "moderator" since this
list very seldom has required moderation.  The "Mailman" software used
to run this list is pretty neat and does most of the work.  Mailman s/w
actually resides on our host machine at Dreamhost so it is not something
you need to put on your own PC.

Most of you can probably recall the subscribing process.  You fill out a
simple form with your email address, your ham call or full name,
determine if you want daily digest instead of individual messages, and
then click on "subscribe".  At this point, the mailman software turns
around and sends you a request for confirmation via the email address
you gave.  Once you confirm, then the list administrator gets an email
notice to approve (or deny) your subscription.

The list administrator logs into the web based administration page and
either approves or rejects the subscription.  Nearly all are approved
and once they are, the admin gets an email notice that xxx at yyy.com has
subscribed.  Likewise, with an unsubscribe action, another email notice
is sent to the admin.

I go to one more level of protection to the list from spammers by
setting a "mod" bit for those new subscribers without a legitimate ham
call.  In this case, or in the rare case where a subscriber has abused
the list and I set their "mod" bit, any messages posted by them comes to
the admin first for approval (or rejection).  All this action is done
via the web page control panel for the mailman software.  Very few
non-hams ever try to send a message to the list and once they do, I
usually clear their "mod" bit.

That is about 99% of the job.  The remaining 1% or so is tracking down
an occasional problem someone has in receiving (or not receiving) list
messages, or their posting message being rejected.  In the latter case,
it is most often the case of trying to send a message to the list from a
different email address from what they are subscribed by.

As you can see, whoever becomes administrator should be active in
receiving and responding to requests and problems.  But, this task can
be shared with one or more others -- in that case, all authorized
administrators (often called moderators) would receive the new
subscription request, etc.

The only other thing I can think of is that the administrator(s) will
get some email sporadically with remnants of attempts by spammers.
Often it will be in the form of undeliverable spam email that someone
has faked the return address to hpsdr.org.  Once you get used to this,
it is not much of a problem and most often occurs in spurts.  (One day I
got over 300 such rejects!)

Volunteer needed yet to take over as this list administrator.  Email me
directly (off-list) to "ae5k" at "hpsdr" dot "org".  I'll still remain
in the background as the hosting provider and consultant if needed.

Don AE5K
HPSDR Discussion List Administrator