[hpsdr] Beating a very dead horse

Christopher T. Day CTDay at LBL.GOv
Sun Oct 19 14:52:43 PDT 2008

Hi, all. I haven't been doing much radio or following these lists closely
for the last year or so. In the meantime, work has pushed me to move to
Vista. Apparently, the driver for FlexRadio's USB-to-Parallel adapter never
was ported to Vista, so my SDR-1000 is dead in the water. Some things I seem
to remember from past discussions:

1)      The FlexRadio USB-to-Parallel adapter has custom microcode in it to
make the PowerSDR interface simpler and more efficient; this is why a
standard USB-to-Parallel adapter won't work.

2)      FlexRadio nor any of us had access to the microcode source, but I
thought we knew who did. Was that true? I take it nobody managed to convince
the owner to either update the driver or release the source. Is that true?

3)      I thought we at least had the definition of the interface as seen by
PowerSDR, which at least raised the possibility of a clean-room construction
of a driver. Was that true? If so, anybody know where that spec is?

No, I don't want to go back to XP, or at least it is not a practical option.
No, I don't have room for another dedicated XP machine. No, there seems to
be no way I can add a real parallel port to my PC.

Can anyone provide me with a summary of the current situation re rolling our
own driver so that I can use my SDR-1000 again? Thanks.

                Chris

                AE6VK