[hpsdr] TI Development Software for Sasquatch

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 10:00:29 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Chris Albertson
<albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Lyle Johnson <kk7p at wavecable.com> wrote:
>
>> For all you embedded DSP faithful, it ain't free, but TI is having a sale
>> until the end of the year on their full-blown Code Composer Studio. Usually
>> $3,595, it is now on sale for $995 including one year of updates. This
>> supports/will support all the new stuff, including OMAP-L137, TMS320C674x,
>> etc.
>
> I don't think it is a good idea to develop Open Source software using non-free
> development tools.  The resulting source code is useless to most people.
>

> --
> =====
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

I agree!

I'd much rather "embed" something like a mini/nano/pico-ITX board and
do the DSP/control there with open source tools.

A small command line only distro of Linux running from flash, with
c/c++ code doing DSP/control will give you the performance of ALL
IF-DSP based radios available today, IMHO.  DttSP or SharpDSP2.1/Mono
will run with no problem on these.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know "it ain't necessarily a low power
solution"... but I can live with that.  A lot of guys use laptops for
portable operation these days and they have similar power requirements
so I don't see it as a big issue.

For the QS1R, QS1RServer runs perfectly on this board:
<http://www.logicsupply.com/products/boxd945gclf2> for any rate you'd
want up to 2 MSPS - try that with some of the embedded DSPs in the
same price range...  Or if you are happy with 250 kHz spans, embed a
dinky pico-ITX board <http://www.logicsupply.com/products/px10000g>
which is barely the size of a credit card.

73 Phil N8VB

--
Phil Covington
Software Radio Laboratory LLC