[hpsdr] [Hpshpsdr] Mercury - Alpha 3 results

Chuck Hutton charlesh3 at msn.com
Fri Sep 19 16:34:19 PDT 2008

> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:21:35 -0400> From: Joe - AB1DO <ab1do at optonline.net>> Subject: Re: [hpsdr] Mercury - Alpha 3 results> To: hpsdr at lists.hpsdr.org> Message-ID: <005101c91a63$06f89a50$1a01a8c0 at AB1DOComp>> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=iso-8859-1;> reply-type=response> > > On another note, I just read on the Flex reflector that the USB to parallel > adapter for the SDR-1000 won't work under vista, because there is no vista > version of the USBIO driver. It struck me that we use the same driver for > Ozy and that therefore the same then holds.. Is this true? What about > LibUSB? In the manual, should we revert back to advising to install LibUSB > instead?> > It would be a shame to end up with a state-of-the-art transceiver, kind of > stuck in an aging operating system (and no, I'm no fan of vista, but it will > be unavoidable as computers get updated. Not many people own a non-oem > version of XP).> > 73 de Joe - AB1DO
It seems that LibUSB still causes some crashes in Vista-32 when the system hibernates or powers down. It does seem that with enough jumping through hoops it can be successfully installed.

There's no planned Vista-64 version of libusb. Vista-64 was slow getting out of the gate, but now accounts for 20% of the hits from Vista computers at Microsoft's web site.

Soon, it will be time to decide how HPSDR supports 64 bits. The options I see are:
    - WinUSB
    - Cypress (who will have a 64 bit CyUSB driver in 1 month)
    - FTDI
    - Hope someone in HPSDR-land or Libusb-land can compile a 64 bit libusb and get it WHQL-certified. (Costs money, $400 I believe)

Yes, all the answers are a pain as the first three would require an API change with significant code re-writing and the fourth requires more time, expertise, Microsoft certification and money.

Chuck