[hpsdr] mercury adc

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 10:44:56 PDT 2008

When you have lots of oversampling (135 MSPS) at 16 bits (giving 90-ish dB)
dynamic range and you follow that with digital downsampling and frequency
conversion or polyphase filter bank channelization,  you get processing
gain.  Suppose we want an SSB receiver (say 4 kHz).

135,000,000/4000  = 135,000/4  = 33750

10log10(33750) = 45 dB theoretical processing gain (if you have unlimited
growth in accumulator depth and perfect multiplication of coefficients,
etc.)

In the perfect case,  every factor of four oversampling adds 6 dB (or so) of
dynamic range or 1 bit of equivalent dynamic range.

Suffice it to say we will not get this much gain for many reasons but 23 dB
is not surprising.

Bob
N4HY

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"Trample the slow ....  Hurdle the dead"