[hpsdr] Mercury - Alpha 3 results

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:02:33 PDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Ray Anderson <ray.anderson at xilinx.com> wrote:

>> It appears that you can write user mode drivers for USB with UMDF:
>>
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/wdf/USB_WDF.mspx>
>>
>> I wonder if these need to be signed on 64 bit Vista?  If not, this
>> would probably be the way to go on Windows.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Phil Covington
>

> See the following URL:
> http://extended64.com/blogs/andre/archive/2006/01/22/1941.aspx
>
> It looks like drivers need to be signed on Vista 64 systems to work.
>
> -Ray  WB6TPU

Yes, there is no question that Kernel mode drivers (KMDF) need to be
signed (Code Integrity Signing) on Vista 64.  It is not clear whether
User Mode drivers (UMDF) need to be signed since they are not kernel
mode drivers.  You can write USB UMDF drivers, so if they don't
require signing, this would be the way to go.

The link you posted does not say anything about UMDF.

I use libusb to talk to the QS1R Receiver, so I am interested in this
also for people who will use 64 bit Vista.

Regards,

--
Phil Covington
Software Radio Laboratory LLC