[hpsdr] Excalibur & Gibraltar

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 4 07:31:44 PDT 2009

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the pointers.

I guess it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

If you want to set the frequency of an HF rig for normal operating,
that is plenty good enough.

But, if you are going to compete in the frequency measuring contests,
then you will need at least three orders of magnitude of improvement.

I note that the winners in the frequency measuring contests are measuring
accurately, with HF radio propagation distortions, to about 1 milliHz.

I built something very similar to Burt, VE2ZAZ's GPSDO, and get
about 2 milliHz accuracy, which he also reports.  Which would not
be sufficient to be competitive in the FMTs.  Talking to John, N8UR
I was pointed at the results comparison on

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/gpsdo/

where the better GPSDO setups are hitting 0.1 to 0.01 milliHz. accuracy.

So, I have some software work to do.

If you want to dig deeper, consider joining the "Time Nuts" mailing list at

http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm

--- Graham / KE9H

==