[hpsdr] Proposal

Jeff Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Thu Apr 16 06:30:30 PDT 2009

Regarding Phil Covington's suggestion that the HPSDR website be tidied
up, I think it has some merit but perhaps is unnecessary.  If the main
reason is to render the site more informative to the SDR newcomer, then
as far as it goes it's fine, but as most of the modules that go to make
up the HPSDR project are unavailable, then, presumably the newcomer will
soon head off to one of the other 4 or 5 SDR offerings that are
currently commercially available.

In other words the feeling I have is that HPSDR is rather a closed shop,
closed that is to all but the initial several hundred of us that were
attracted to the project at its inception.  There's nothing wrong with
this, but imagine a newcomer to SDR having been bitten by the bug, and
finding his way to the HPSDR website only to learn that all this
wonderful kit is effectively only available on the secondhand market.

So, to the initiated, (that's just about all of us), we know which
projects have life and which are moribund, and so don't really need
changes to the website.  To the newcomer the changes would no doubt be
welcome but he would still end up frustrated at the lack of availability
of current/past modules.  Hence my opening reply of feeling that Phil
Covington's suggestion has merit but is perhaps unnecessary.

Jeff Cook G0AFQ.