[hpsdr] Proposal

Sheldon Hands as5770972 at sapo.pt
Fri Apr 17 09:53:40 PDT 2009

It is very apparent from the reponses to the "Proposal" that few if any
people have looked seriously at the HPSDR site structure and either
considered what it purpose should be or if it meets the criteria to inform
others of our current status.

Presently the site structure is totally at odds with the page header
labelled in the singular "an open source design" and a "mission statement"
of a second generation SDR transceiver.  The module list contains a mix of
designs of the previous generation, the new and the indeterminate with no
attempt to instruct the reader about any possible system or integration. We
provide a block diagram of the milestone of our second generation transciver
that bears no relationship to the previous paragraph and photograph.

We do have some good quality site content. But the indiscriminate grouping
provides little or no focus on the various generations and systems. Neither
does it focus on what the majority of list members are now using for the
core modules for the new second generation system.

Many visitors to HPSDR web site will come from those who hear us on the air.
It is therefore imperative we structure the site for easy navigation if we
are to advance the understanding of the various concepts available to the
Amateur for SDR. Many of those who will view the main site or the Wiki will
have little or no understanding of the range of SDR concepts and will arrive
with a pre-concepted idea that we are just an  offshoot of Flex or Softrock.

We need to re-structure the site to reflect the two parallel systems which
are in development, ancillaries which may be common to both systems and
suitable PC software such as PowerSDR, Acorn,GHPSDR etc. Other site content
like Odyssey and Helios need to be clearly labelled as reference material. I
would place my parallel systems as A. The Digital system core
OZY/PEN/Mercury  B. The Analog core  OZY/Janus/Phoenix

Contrary to recent mail we do have a very open access to membership and a
very alive module list. Already after the initial run of Penelope has been
sold we do have a 3rd party in DL doing yet another batch. This together
with the Hermes proposal makes for a very pro-active group and one that does
need to properly showcase itself on HPSDR.ORG

Shel CT1IZU