[hpsdr] Penelope Minimum Power

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Mon Apr 27 08:20:30 PDT 2009

Hi Keith,

If you run Penelope at power levels lower than about 200mW or so your
dynamic range will suffer so it's best to use an external attenuator
and always run Penelope at a healthy output level from the board itself.

If you only need 2 mW or less output you can pull J2 and take the rf
out from pins 1 & 3 on J2 instead of from the BNC connector.
Actually, you can lift the center conductor pin on the BNC connector
from the board and use a small coaxial line from the BNC over to J2 to
make a nice configuration.  Doing so bypasses the output amplifier
stage on Penelope and allows you to run with full dynamic range but
with a very low power out level.

If you need more than 2mW out an external attenuator with the normal
Penelope configuration is best.

73,  Joe K5SO