[hpsdr] ADC Overload (again)

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Aug 2 00:45:14 PDT 2009

Hi Richard,

No need to be concerned. The ADC Overload indicator just lets you know that
you are most likely going to see spurious signals in the bandscope.  In fact
the ADC appears to overload quite gracefully, you can run well into the
overload region without too many adverse effects.

With a reasonable antenna you should not need the preamp on  below 17m - in
fact with my HF beam I don't use a preamp until 15m.

I'm fortunate to have a prototype Alex board so can use that if I have
problems with broadcast stations causing overload.  Mostly the natural
selectivity of my antenna and ATU etc is sufficient to  eliminate out of
band signals.

You may want to try  KK and look on the wideband bandscope to see what
signal(s) is causing the overload.  If it's a local broadcast station then a
simple HPF will most likely do the trick.

The front end of Mercury does have overload protection which we know does
work - one of our users accidentally transmitted into the Mercury input
connector and the protection network saved the day!

73's Phil...VK6APH