[hpsdr] Hpsdr Digest, Vol 42, Issue 1

Mark Amos mark at amos-family.com
Sat Aug 1 17:07:00 PDT 2009

George,

Thanks for the tip on Effective C# - I'll pick up a copy.

Hah - regarding the distance between here and there, we probably don't need
to use RF to communication, I think it might be within shouting distance.

I rethought the up/down control events and just went with ValueChanged. It's
just simpler than a bunch of keyup/keydown, etc. detects.  And it's kind of
cool to watch the filter move on the spectrum display as I scroll the CW
note up and down.

Thanks again for the advice!

Mark
W8XR

Dear Mark,

Just remember, the only stupid question is the one you DO NOT ask! (but
should have...)

I'm just glad that you caught on so quickly!

To see if an event is firing, double click on the first line of code in the
event handler (you can do that after the app has started or before...)  Then
do what you think should cause the event to fire.  The IDE should break at
the breakpoint you set on the first line, if the event fires as you think it
should.

Note that if you already have an event handler, you can type the name in, or
search for it, rather than double-clicking to auto-generate.

If you've come this far in a week, don't worry!  I've been using C# for a
decade now.  I can recommend the "Effective C#" and "More Effective C#" by
Bill (William) Wagner.  You should also get an introductory text or two on
C#.  He (and I) live less than 60 miles from you, near Ann Arbor.  I live
out by Dexter, he down near Manchester.  Too bad he isn't a ham!  If he
were, we'd have super help on this!

You came up with an interesting solution to the up/down control 'decimation'
(as you put it).  It's OK as long as the text of the control is NOT EDITABLE
(can be set that way!)  Otherwise, you need to also catch the ValueChanged
event, to catch the text edit that was done without a mouse!

73,
George K9TRV