[hpsdr] Field day

Willi Reppel wi.re at telia.com
Mon Aug 10 12:16:23 PDT 2009

Hi all,
Last weekend Unesco´s World  Heritage, Grimeton Radio in Sweden (see www.grimeton.org ), arranged a field day for radio enthusiast and I was invited to put my HPSDR con-traption consisting of Atlas, Ozy, Mercury, Penelo-pe, a recycled PA-module of an Icom 735 and a home made ATU on display. Beside my contraption, the local repre-sentative of Icom placed an IC 7700 and both stations were connected through a coax-switch to the same antenna. I asked a local radio profile, SM6CSB  Harald, to operate  both radios and to compare then. Harald stopped using the IC7700 after one hour and continued with the HPSDR for the rest of the field day because he found  the Mercury receiver to outperform the one of the IC7700. Soon there were pile ups and other hams wanted to get more information about "the wonder radio" as they called my contraption.
Even though Internet and the e-mail reflector are excellent means to develop HPSDR, the actual use of the radio seems to be the best messenger to convey the good news of HPSDR to the ham community.
vy 73 de
SM6OMH  Willi