[hpsdr] CPU Cycle Thief Found

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 13 09:13:05 PDT 2009

I have noticed that something in my Windows OS based system
was using up a lot of CPU resources, particularly just after re-booting.
In the past it was Microsoft Indexing scanners, or some anti-virus
tool, etc.

This time, it was "my friend" TortoiseSVN.

It turns out that TortoiseSVN spends a tremendous amount
of resources, (like 50 percent load on my dual core Pentium-D)
maintaining the color of the check mark on the front of the SVN
folders.  I am not talking about when you manually trigger an
update exercise.  That is understandable.  This is an almost continuous
background scan checking the SVN folders for integrity, and if problems
are found, the green check mark turns red.

The default is to examine EVERY file on your computer for
SVN status.  You have the option of restricting it to just your
SVN folders, or disabling the feature.

For heavy users, active programmers etc., I recommend restricting
the scan to just your SVN image folders.  For infrequent users, such
as myself who uses TortoiseSVN to pick up new PowerSDR releases
once a month when Bill T. puts them out [Thanks again Bill] I recommend
turning off the feature, since the status is determined and updated during
an update exercise.

More information: (you may have to reassemble the long URL if it
line wraps.)  This cured my problem.

http://www.question-defense.com/2009/02/06/tsvncache-exe-tortoisesvn-using-a-lot-of-system-resources/

--- Graham / KE9H

==