[hpsdr] multiple receivers - is it really nesesary

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Aug 2 00:32:51 PDT 2009

Alex,

If you  just want to look at what signals are on a particular band without
the ability to actually demodulate all (say 7 or 8) of them then you are
correct.  All you need to do is to hop the CORDIC  to each band of interest,
send a block of samples to the PC, do an FFT and then display the result
then hop to the next band and repeat the process.

In fact that is where my SDR journey started, I did this in hardware with a
DDS LO and a 45MHz first IF, the PC code was in VB.  I could see 6 bands in
'real time' and spot any openings as they occurred.

The problem was I had to sweep the LO to cover each band, and needed a
narrow IF filter to see weak signals so need to slow the sweep rate right
down.

So much easier to do this in software and much better performance.

With Mercury we can see 192kHz and demodulate any signal in that bandwidth
whilst looking at 0-55MHz of spectrum. Soon we will be able to select what
frequency/bandwidth you want to look at on the wide bandscope and after that
we will add multiple receivers just as Alex VE3NEA has done.

The limitation of this with one Mercury board is  that your antenna must
cover all the bands you want to view or you need some form of combiner.

If you are a contester I can imagine being able to run 7 or 8 copies of CW
skimmer so you can see all signals on all the ham bands at once may give you
a slight edge....

We also intend to support multiple Mercury boards on the Atlas bus all phase
locked to the same clock.  That will give you the potential for diversity
reception or take the output of your Four Square into four Mercury boards
etc....

As to why you would want to do that....well in my case it gives me plenty to
think about when I'm wide awake at 2am :)

73's Phil....VK6APH